Tuesday 20 January 2009

the demon blogger of main street

oh i am so having nightmares tonight. just watched sweeney todd, courtesy of harri (of harri-hate fame), and i actually can't get the image of alan rickman's slashed throat out of my mind. i've never been much of a blood-and-guts girl, i love a good old riveting ghost story but when it comes to all things gory i have a pretty weak stomach. i admit, i did have to bite a cushion at the first sign of blood... and my mum did run in to ask me why i was wailing... and i now have two broken nails after some very anxious nibbling! but i still managed to sit through what i thought was a very good film.

for a start, helena bonham carter is just wow wow wow. i've been a major fan of hers ever since she played the perfect anne boleyn back in errrm 2002 maybe? she has this rare quality which just makes me magnatised to her everytime she's on screen, and she had the whole victorian gothic chic thing down to perfection. i liked the complexity of her character as well- unlike sweeney, mrs lovett actually seemed to be wrestling with her conscience which was very interesting to watch. alan rickman as well, what a cracker. i know that he is given the part of the token villian in nearly every film (except sense and sensibility where he played one of my favourite austen heroines, colonel brandon) but damn it it's not surprising when he's got that smouldering sneering voice going on. i actually hate with a passion every character that he plays, in the best possible way. timothy spall was pretty good as well, although his face just makes me LOL. i know that's a bit harsh but it's something about the teeth... he reminds me of a rat.
johnny depp was good also, although to say it was 'his' film, he didn't stand out to me that much. i think sometimes he has a bit of a tendency to over-act things, i don't identify with his characters as much. i also felt that sweeney's character was a little one dimensional in itself. i have to say though, in johnny's favour, the final scene in the bake-house was AMAZING, the way he swung from mood to mood, calmness to hysteria, and then just broke down over a batch of bloody bodies. riveting stuff.

i'm becoming a little bit obsessed with lovely cinematography after watching a very long engagement, and this didn't disappoint. i loved the blue tint on everything, making the whole film seem slightly surreal (i actually didn't know it's based on a true story!)- i also loved the fact that even as mrs lovett daydreamt about her and sweeney's future her and sweeney were still portrayed as greying compared to the rest of the scene, i think it showed their inner corruptness. the songs were brilliant as well, my favourite being the gentle 'joanna' as sweeney cut everyone's throats, the irony did make me chuckle. oh dear i'm not too great with being clever about cinema! but i think i'd say ****. wasn't my favourite tim burton (nightmare before christmas please! although everyone HAS to say that) but it beat some- corpse bride i'm talking to you.

speaking of tim burton, mega eek excited about his alice which is coming out sometime later this year i think. i'm determined to go down to oxford where all the alice shops are and where lewis carroll met alice liddell. i might also have a look at the uni and remind myself of where i could have been aiming for, had i tried a bit harder in my gcses. oh i shouldn't be so pedantic about these things, i was never going to get more than a B in maths anyway so... i'm going to stop thinking about uni now because stressing already about what to write on my personal statement is doing my head in.

aerobics with the bland and liv tomorrow, how exciting, can't wait to don me trackies, it's been a while since i did any excersize and frankly i'm puzzled as to how i've still not managed to end up on one of those "half ton girl" documentaries, one of these days my metabolism is going to fail and i will wake up 50 stone. i look forward to it, it will give me an excuse to stay in bed and not move all day. and the fashionista in me is also singing out for joy as GOSSIP GIRL SERIES TWO STARTS TOMORROW. i repeat GOSSIP GIRL, possible the most fash-gasmic programme out there. oh jenny humphery, how i wish i was you with your cute little hair bands and coloured tights. i think i might actually cry with happiness when it starts, i've had to survive with just the series one boxset since september and it's been a long long wait!

anyway it's a bit of a disjointed blog again but i'm tired and my fingers are hurting from typing so much and biting my nails! so until next time :)
victoria x

3 comments:

  1. I concur with everything you say about Sweeney Todd, except Sweeney being one-dimensional. I could give you a long lecture about the tragedies and atrocities of his past causing him to become numb from the outside world, and a lot of it being internal etc. But I guess it's something you get from the second viewing. Your title made me do a li'l wee by the way :D I am liking the blogging skills, victoire.

    ReplyDelete
  2. please allow me two harry potter nerd comments.
    SNAPE ISN'T EVIL. HE LOVED LILLY FOREVERZ.
    and also
    rat..wormtail..timothy spall.
    lollards.
    god this is sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are sad, but te amo
    "...look...at...me..." oh sev.
    and if we're being geeky then i will point out 'LILLY' is actually spelt 'Lily'.
    Eat Dung Umbridge.
    smooches x

    ReplyDelete